10.20.2008

Social Studies: The Black Tax

Hey guys..... I too have had quite a long weekend... I went to a BEAUTIFUL wedding in Atlanta - which is my old stomping ground. SPELLLLLLLLLLMAN!

I know I'm harsh for calling the chick in this story a coon. Alright - I did it and it's out of my system.

Anyway - I was in the airport restaurant and I became more and more frustrated by the minute. I thought I'd have a quick breakfast this morning at Brews and Blues, which is in terminal T of the ATL airport. Well - I go in, say hello to the waitress and just kind of sit there. I was thinking, okay - she knows I need a damn menu, so what the hell..... but I just sat it out. I wait about 5 minutes and say, "excuse me, I'd like to have a menu" and she slides one over to me. Alright... it's 8 in the morning, I'm not a morning person - so I'm not mad yet.

Well - I order my food when she walks over because not once did she say, "good morning, can I take your order" or whatever you are supposed to say to prompt me to tell you want I want to eat or drink. Still - when she kind of just stood there, I took that as the cue to place my food order, "scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, and toast." She walks away - brings back the food and did not give me a fork or whatev. I asked for the fork and she lays it by my food. Alright - at this point, I'm not thinking BLACK TAX!!! Instead, I'm thinking - this is terrible service, but whatever. My food sucked, but still - it was terrible service and I as just going to roll with it; I was ready to get back to DC anyway.

About 10 minutes later, a few white guys walk in. She goes over to them and wishes them a good morning and asks if she could take their orders. She gave a few jokes to them so they could all get a laugh in and she was just overall pleasant! I was like wtf? Maybe it was just me - maybe I was giving off negative energy. My flight didn't leave for another hour, so I decided to sit around and observe! A black man sat right beside me and got the same cold cold treatment as I did. He asked for cheese on his eggs and she was so rude to him! WTF. After I saw her flip the script again for her white co-worker, I was like daaaaaaamn. She was even cold to the ethiopian chicks who walked in. However, she kept wiping off the table for the white guys and refilling their drinks. Ask me if I got a refill? lol. NOPE! Seriously - I felt obligated to tip her, but I only left a dollar, which I thought was generous.

So - my friends, have you all experienced anything like this from our own people? What's the damn problem? Let's talk about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous October 20, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

I've experienced this a number of times in NY, DC, and further south so I know it's not a geographical issue. Honestly, I'm not sure if people realize that they do it. Very unfortunate.

It might also be a subtle "we're black, we have things in common, so I'm not afraid to show how I'm really feeling to you because you understand"

laughing808 October 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

oh, naw, she wouldn't have gotten that dollar from me. In fact, if I had to ask for eating utensils, I would also need to see a manager. And would point out the difference in treatment.

Yep, I've had this treament before and I don't tip. In one instance the waiter had the nerve to point out to me that the tip was not included in the price, to which I responded "I Know" and walked off to let him figure it out. My girlfriend with me thought it was very callous, but my response was, why would I tip someone that treats me different than any other patron? I'm not gonna pay you to treat me unfairly.

T October 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

I don't think I've experienced it, but I'm tough on waitstaff in general, so they don't really have the time to be rude to me before I ask for the manager.

I was talking to this guy who went into Wendy's and he said the guy behind the corner, was like what's up man. Can I take your order man, Alright man. Then a white guy walks in and he's like Hello Sir, Can I take your order Sir, Thank You Sir.

I wouldn't even have noticed something like that, but this guy was furious. He said he'd lost his appetite and threw the burger away.

A mess.

T October 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM  

Oh yeah, after reading the comments, I'd also like to add that I always tip 20% no matter what. Statistically black women are the worst tippers. I think it's a catch 22. Waitstaff thinks we won't tip them, they act shitty, then we don't tip them.

On the other hand I have some friends that don't believe in tipping more than $5... ever, which is a mess.

I know it's my money and everything, but I'm just trying to changes the statistics, 20% at a time.

T October 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
blackstar October 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM  

T - honestly - I too tip 20%. I believe in bad tipping Karma, so if yu are a decent server you usually get 20% regardless.

Even that $1.00 I left covered about 13%

uglyblackjohn October 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM  

It's the tip (or expected tip).
"t" has it about right.
Many assume that it's a racial response but it may be one based on demographics. Black women seem to be the most demanding but tend to tip less.

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP