3.15.2009

Recession Beauty Tips 101 - Buppie Style

*Sigh.* All of this "doom and gloom" news about the economy is forcing me to scale back on things that are contributing to my overall well-being. But since I'm STILL in Obama celebration mode here in DC, I'm still spending on social events and enjoying time with friends (I cut back on eating out big time, but I still spend on certain events and cocktails, you know how it is). So, I thought about where I could cut back and it was easy - first, beauty supplies.

I'll admit it, I'm completely fooled by fancy packaging and promises to deliver amazing results if you spend a little extra in a fancy store while being conned by sales people (think Sephora, MAC, etc).

So what did I do? I made the decision to reevaluate some of my beauty purchases, spa treatments, and occasional hair salon visits (4 times/year) if I'm trying to make an impact in my personal savings. Despite this linked article I found on the Wall St. Journal a couple weeks ago, I do believe that Black Women can save money and STILL look fly.

So what did I do? For the last month, I've decided that if a new purchase must be made, I'm going to think twice. I went on a super beauty shopping spree (recession style) in an effort to find some money-conscious alternatives to my usual favs. Let's reflect on some of list of OLD VS NEW (Ressession Style):

Makeup

  1. MAC Eyeliner - $14.50 vs. Maybeline ($4)
  2. MAC Viva Glam lipstick $14 - Covergirl ($6) - but I'm more of a gloss person only anyway so I haven't had to buy any yet.
  3. MAC lip gelee - $14 vs. Covergirl Queen Collection ($5.50)
  4. MAC foundation - (okay can't give this up - but send me a message if you have an alternative for medium-dark complexions - this is the BEST I've found) - $29
  5. MAC Iridescent loose powder (for bronzing effect) - $21 vs. Jane Shimmering Bronzer ($6)
  6. Shampoo - I've found it doesn't really matter what kind of shampoo you use, but how you moisturize and condition your hair afterwards. So call me cheap, but I've switched from Nioxin and Nexxus shampoos ($9-$17) to Suave Biobasics Shampoo ($3.29) and 100% coconut oil.
  7. Deep Conditioner - Miss Jessie's Rapid Recovery Treatment ($48) and Nexxus Scalp Therapy ($20) vs. Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Cream ($3) - add some coconut/tea tree oil and leave on for 30 minutes and it's just as good, lol.
So so far they've been mostly small changes, but everything counts, right? I think it's more about changing my way of thinking. Packaging isn't everything. Brands aren't everything. I'm looking a little deeper. Shout out if you have any other beauty savings tips (best lotions, skin treatments, facial cleansers, etc.). I'd love to hear them. Smooches. <--I hate when people say that or "Toodles", lol.

Spa Treatments
Massage - Favorite DC Spa $100 for 50 minutes vs. a Massage School - 60 minute massage for $40.
Pedicure - @ home pedi is only about $10 max
Manicure - @ home mani is only about $5 max
Wax - instead of waxing I'm not "nairing" and it works quicker and with less pain. I do it only 2 times/week and it takes about 5 minutes. Not the best smell, but it works. I also have at home wax for my brows, etc. It cost me about $10 and will last for several treatments.

Health and Fitness
In my quest to get the toned Michelle Obama physique, I'm all about health and fitness, so here are a few ways I'm cutting back.

  • Gym - $65/month vs. My feet ($0), + there's a gym in my condo bldg. (easy)
  • Organic Foods are OUT. Pretty packaged veggies are OUT. Instead I cut up my own veggies and slice my own fruits. Saves tons. I'm also, trading Whole Foods for Safeway or Trader Joes (although I also love peapod).
  • Lastly I only shop with a purpose. I make a menu of what I'll eat for about 4 days at a time and only buy food for those days. Before trying this method, I'd spend easily over $100/week and throw away half of it. Ugh, the life of a single buppie...

Other Tips:

  • Organize your cabinets/closets - you have more than you realize. Utilize what you ALREADY have before shopping for new purchases. If you like the "new" feeling, have a "beauty trade day" with friends.

46 comments:

Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 1:20 PM  

Please update soon, ladies! :o)

Anonymous May 25, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

You sistas keep splurging on those products and looking fine, me and a buddy just got back from London, and those sistas are not spending money on keeping up their appearances!

Cynthia May 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

Exactly the reason we started our blog!! Please pay us a visit...you will love it. Maybe we can do a blog roll exchange/ Urbanfrugalchic.com

B-More BAP May 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

Thanks for the tips Sis! I agree. It can get really pricey. I'm a MAC girl too :) It's hard living without my beloved lipglass though...Need that! Stat!

Great Blog!

nirav June 24, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

nice blog super beauty tips

Rochelle Spencer August 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

These are good tips--I wish I'd read them before I tried to do an at-home Brazilian wax!

Rochelle Spencer August 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

These are good tips--I wish I'd read them before I tried to do an at-home Brazilian wax!

Cliff August 9, 2009 at 6:15 PM  

Nice I enjoyed
Check out Michelle Obama dark skin sista
http://www.examiner.com/x-19673-Michelle-Obama-Examiner~y2009m8d8-Michelle-Obamas-dark-skin-inpires-women-of-color-all-over-the-world

ElroyTLanphear January 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

視訊聊天室視訊交友34c成人gogo2sex桃園視訊妹sogo成人論壇美女寫真1314視訊成人論壇彩虹頻道免費av影片情色視訊85cc影城北台灣視訊援交影片一夜情聊天室hilivetv免費電影85cc美女寫真34c免費av視訊聊天網bbsx693彩虹sexmovie影城成人交友成人交友免費視訊聊天室

Anonymous January 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real income.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the income with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

九份 February 19, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

看看blog調整心情,又要來繼續工作,大家加油........................................

皮膚 March 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

I do like ur article~!!! ........................................

pass March 26, 2010 at 5:27 AM  

朝著既定的目標走,就不會迷失。..................................................

玉龍玉龍 April 4, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

你可以從外表的美來評論一朵花或一隻蝴蝶,但你不能這樣來評論一個人........................................

惠如惠如惠如 April 14, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

hello~welcome my world~<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

賢諭 April 22, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

Unable to give you a heart. so have a reply to push up your post. ........................................

冠樺 April 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM  

真正的友誼,有如健康失去時,始知其價值........................................

惠婷 May 4, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

任何你憂慮的事,你都應該去採取一點行動,不要只是在那邊想..................................................

明NathanA_Schulle May 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

認清問題就等於已經解決了一半的問題。.............................................

韋于倫成 May 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

失去金錢的人,失去很多;失去朋友的人,失去更多;失去信心的人,失去所有。..................................................

智宜智宜 June 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。...............................................................

雅婷 June 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM  

我們不是因為快樂而歌唱,而是唱歌使我們快樂........................................

黃峻帆 June 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM  

人生的價值以及他的快樂,都在於他有能力看重自己的生存 ..................................................

rl64@yahoo.com.hk June 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

你的部落格不錯哦,我來享受一下~~ ........................................

怡潔 June 17, 2010 at 3:48 AM  

不要把生命看得太嚴肅,反正我們不會活著離開。..................................................................

冠慧 June 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM  

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today...................................................................

佳燕 June 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

Poverty is stranger to industry.....................................................................

玫友 June 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。.................................................................

溫緯李娟王季 July 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

great msg for me, thanks a lot dude˙﹏˙..................................................................

香昱信張君林 July 11, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

要保持更新呦,加油!!!期待你的新文章!!!.......................................................

戴昀德 July 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

來給你加油打氣!!!保重!!!.......................................................

張怡 July 16, 2010 at 5:45 AM  

No garden without its weeds...................................................

美岑美岑 July 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

今天是個好天氣~祝你愉快~^^~~..................................................................

青卉 July 21, 2010 at 4:17 AM  

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

盈廖生家秀蔡 July 23, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。..................................................

徐禎緯 July 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

及時行樂-快樂不需要理由............................................................

張v李佳羽嘉旺 August 2, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

宛淑芳真 August 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

男女互悅,未必廝守終生,相愛就是美的。.................................................................

冠賴伶冠賴伶冠賴伶 August 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

It is easier to get than to keep it.......................................................................

陳吳孟木吳孟木湘枝 August 10, 2010 at 3:34 AM  

Pen and ink is wits plough...................................................................

江仁趙雲虹昆 August 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

友誼能增進快樂,減少痛苦......................................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 August 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Pen and ink is wits plough...................................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 August 17, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

第一忠誠,第二勤奮,第三專心工作。..................................................

洪勳劉耀德劉耀德華 August 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

朋友是一面鏡子......................................................................

王怡迪 August 21, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

與朋友在一起,分擔的痛苦是減半的痛苦,分享的快樂是加倍的快樂。......................................................................

Sportsmemorabilia January 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM  

Dear Webmaster,

I came across your website recently:

http://2buppiechicks.blogspot.com/

I wanted to ask if you would please consider placing a link to my website called SportsMemorabilia.com?

We have an extensive collection of autographed and unsigned memorabilia for all your favorite athletes and teams.

If you think it would be of use to your visitors, would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. We are happy to offer you a 10% discount to our Online Store if you do so.

Here is the HTML link you could add:

" http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/ " SportsMemorabilia.com - a one-stop shop for sports memorabilia fans!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Frank
SportsMemorabilia.com
frank641w@gmail.com

There was an error in this gadget

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP